Aahh, dessert…. Since I’m not even a little bit of a baker, and since I generally enjoy leaning towards the healthier side of life, it’s always been my most challenging course to pull off. My compromise is usually some kind of fruit/ice-cream combination, or a cake packed with fruit (or vegetable) that I can enlist someone else to make, or something made with Spelt flour and minimal sugar, like these Cookie Ball Pops which I found on a delightful blog: - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/09/cookie-ball-pops/.
A few things to love about this recipe:
- The fact that they are “No-Bake” will please those interesting people in the world (many of whom have frequented my kitchen over the past couple of years) who enjoy gorging themselves on raw dough.
- The fact that they are “No-Bake” means that I don’t have to waste time baking them = LOVE!
- They are the perfect bite-size for after a large Shabbos meal.
- One could argue that they are semi-healthy.
- They look so cute and impressive!
No-Bake Spelt Cookie Pops
- 2 cups of Spelt Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 heaped tablespoons Margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
Mix together dry ingredients, then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and form into balls. Insert a lollypop stick into each one, then freeze for at least 2 hours.
Makes approx. 17 pops