Since I started hosting Shabbos 7 years ago I’ve been a big proponent of putting out a range of dips and salads to compliment my Seeded Spelt Challah. With no time to wax poetic (it’s erev Rosh Hashanah!), here are 3 of my easy faves:
Eggplant, Tomato and Pickle Salad
- 2 large Eggplants
- 3-4 large Dill Pickles (I use the garlicky Israeli kind) plus 1/2 cup of the brine from the can or jar
- 1 6 oz can of Tomato Paste
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Canola Oil
Dice the Eggplants into large cubes, then pan fry or oven fry in canola oil until soft (approx. 15 – 20 mins). Cool. Dice the pickles then mix in with eggplant, tomato paste and brine. Season to taste. Serve warm or cold.
- 2 small boxes of Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (or 5-6 Roma Tomatoes cut into wedges, seeds loosely removed)
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed, or 3 Dorot Garlic cubes
- Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, shredded, or 3 Dorot Basil cubes
- Sprinkle of Salt/Pepper
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lay all ingredients in a 9 x 13 in. tray. Bake on 375 F for 20 mins then 280 F for approx. 3 hrs. Serve warm. Reheats well.
- Button Mushrooms, peeled and quartered with tips sliced off
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
Shallow sauté mushrooms in Olive Oil on medium-low until they turn light brown, approx. 8-10 mins. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar. Serve warm or cold.